Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A late night rant

Not looking forward to class tomorrow... It's depressing enough to be stuck in the same room for 8hrs, more so when that room is a boring class room with the usual flickering fluro lighting. Uncomfortable 'ergonomically' designed chairs and desks that are just a little too low and a little too small to be deemed comfortable.
Worst of all though are the 3 people that run the class.

I swear its like Nazi Germany or when the Communists took power in China, propaganda citing that their way is the only way is sprouted left right and centre. Conversations of rebellion are whispered in corners away from ears that might use the information against us.
Some are starting to break under the pressure, the rest of us are left trying to pick up the pieces and wonder how the hell it all fits into a meaningful piece of our academic life.

Me? I despise the fact that these 3 women are so dismissive of any opinion that isn't theirs.
They contradict themselves constantly and cause more stress and frustration at a time when we clearly do not need it.
Last week, they tell us that if we fail the class we will be pulled out of placement, which for many people has left them considering a Plan B to be put into place when they withdraw from this course.
Thankfully, we found out that this wasn't the case at all. Which only led to further anger from the student body.
These bitches stand up the front of class and talk about the Feminist model of practice as though it is some kind of gospel. There is nothing else that works according to them, despite the fact that a client should nearly always be the person who directs what model you work from.
I hate the way they take one tiny little thing and blow it completely out of proportion. If you lot were Aussies, I'd say it was like watching A Current Affair or Today Tonight or reading the Herald Sun. But you're not, so you'll just have to understand that the aforementioned media is generally made for those more gullible and less intelligent members of our population who are unable to see past a set of biased statistics and personal opinions.

While I'm acutely aware that most survivors (I hate using the word victim) of Domestic Violence are indeed women and that the perpetrators of said violence are usually men, it does not mean that the shoe is not placed on the other foot every now and again. Or that in those same sex relationships where violence has occurred that the survivor was the more 'feminine' of the two (And yes, they did actually say that).
Having survived a DV relationship myself, I can honestly say that if my counsellor had taken a feminist stance with me I would've laughed in their face and walked out the door.
And to imply that I suffered through what I did because I somehow managed to be the 'girl' in our relationship is not only insulting but demeaning as well.

The trio are constantly harping on about how there is no excuse for a man to display violence to a woman, and yet at the first mention of a women hitting a man they ask if she was mentally ill.
You can't have it both ways bitches, either there's no excuse for domestic violence, or there is.

My boyfriend used to rape me because he was a cunt, not because I was less masculine than he was or because he was mentally unwell.

I wish they would change their language just a little bit as well... Every slide they read to us is Woman = Victim, Man = Perpetrator. Would it be so hard to skip the gender bias and just leave it as Victim/Survivor or Perpetrator?
I also wish they would update their material a little, I mean surely there are more recent documentaries on Domestic Violence than something from the 80s!?
Or perhaps they are just afraid that in showing us something more recent, they would have to acknowledge the fact that it's not just women that suffer at the hands of their partners?

And before anyone suggests that its just me being overly sensitive, there is only 1 person whom I've spoken to that is actually enjoying this class. She just so happens to be doing placement with the organisation that the 3 bitches work at, so I'm not all that surprised.
Everyone else, man and woman alike hate the way the information is being presented to us in class. One of the girls has gone so far as to suggest that the 3 of them just need to get a cock up in them as a solution to their man hating ways.

Personally, I'm more worried about the fact that those 3 will be the ones marking my assignments... thank god for the appeals process is all I can say!

And now that that little rant is done, I'm gonna get a pretty little picture that makes me laugh and post it here...

2 comments:

  1. Oh my dear, sending you loads of hugs and positive vibes, you are a strong character for sure, even with the three witches of hell being at the door. Can you not get a few of the other students together and go to the department head or something.

    Or as a whole class tell them that they are teaching outdated and flawed material.

    I dont know, but I wish you good luck. Loads of hugs. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can only imagine how bad that must be. The only prof I ever had that was nearly that bad was an English prof who counter-taught the text. Your experience sounds horrible. Has anyone talked to the department head about the direction this course takes? Good luck!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete