
So it's 1am and I can't sleep... nothing unusual there...
Cept that the reason tonight is purely because of the god awful noises outside my bedroom window.
Our infamous hot Aussie summer has turned to shit, so far we've probably had a week or two of intermittent good weather, the rest has just been wet and miserable.
Tonight is no different, all around us roads are being closed off due to rising flood waters. A few people had to leave work early today so they didn't end up stranded in town and away from their loved ones (and their animals). Considering the ammount of rain that's coming down at the moment, I'm thinking they won't be making it back to work tomorrow though.
On top of the rain we have gale force winds, trees are dropping all over the place just to add another inconvenience to the mix.
It's horrible to say, but I kind of hope that one of the local rivers rises enough to cut off the main road to Avoca. That way I'll get a day or two off work... But more importantly it means that I won't have to sit at work wondering if I'll make it back home and I can be of some use to the kitchens in Maryborough (with the floods, we'll be a few vital staff members down). The rising water also means that a number of patients can't be discharged from the hospital as they have no viable means of getting home safely, so we're all just playing it by ear and trying to do the best we can.
Still, none of this compares to the devastation faced by those in Queensland... at least one of the major free to air channels is reporting live pretty much 24/7 and some of the imagery is just horrible.
Houses where you can only see the roofs above the water... dead animals washed up on railway tracks... live ones trying to keep their heads above water... countless people are missing and the last time I heard at least 12 people were dead.
I don't get it, we've had droughts for over a decade and now we get torrential downpours to the point of total annihilation of towns. Come on Mother Nature, pull up your socks and give us a break!
I hope my family up north are all still OK. Last I heard they were looking pretty safe, but hey these things can change in an instant apparently. So fingers crossed they pull through.
Normally, I would crack some kind of joke right about now in an effort to lighten the mood or even try to find some positive to come out of all of this. But I just can't.
It scares me that nature can be this heartless, I mean fuck there's even been a tsunami of flood water hit. Cause it wasn't bad enough to start with...

Certainly puts my life into perspective... sure I've faced some pretty crappy days lately, but at least I still have a roof over my head, a place to sleep, a hot meal and clothes on my back. In comparison to Queensland, I'm doing just peachy!
On that note, my thoughts go out to all of those who lost loved ones in these floods and I hope beyond hope that all this seemingly senseless carnage comes to a screaming halt sometime soon.

Believe me, Nelo, all of us are concerned about all of you Down Under. Our miserable snow and ice here is nothing compared to the devastation you are experiencing there.
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and everyone else there!
Peace <3
Jay
The floods over there have been in our head line news here for a while now. Seems never ending. Sorry about the wise-crack in the comment before about the paddle up the creek. It is very real & no joke.
ReplyDeleteWe have had similar flooding over here too, not to the extent that you are experiencing. Although on our news this morning they have given warnings there could be serious flooding here this weekend. We are in for a very wet weekend, lots of rain forecast.
So we might be in the same boat together.
Have to go.... Now where did I put that paddle??
Thinking of you :)
Yep, we are all worried for you Aussies. It's so horrible and scary, such destruction, the only bright side, I guess is that it's only 12 people so far that have lost their lives, it could have been so much worse, like the floods in Brazil now.
ReplyDeleteLoads of hugs, by dear Nelo and if you need to come and dry out in England, you know where to come. Oh hold on, dry out in England makes it sound like you are an alchie eiiks, I didn't mean that, for sure. xx