Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Resignations and Results

It seems the fighting isn't over just yet...
I have an angry voicemail on my phone from one very irate lesbian (AKA one of the owners of the Farmer's Arms Hotel) apparently my resigning is rather gutless and I need to man up and see out my roster because apparently it's not acceptable to resign on Tuesday when I had agreed to work a Saturday shift.
Hmmm, last time I checked as a casual employee I could quit 5 mins before my shift began and still have given you enough notice. So they should be thankful that I've stuck it out for as long as I have IMO.
Judging from the tone of her voice in the message, she was itching for a fight with me. So I'll have it out with her sometime in the next day or so just for the hell of it.
Personally, I think she's pissed that they have nothing to hold over me to force me to work (am glad that I was smart enough to wait till after I got my final pay!)

Other than that, I got a rather cruel and harsh reality check this morning which has been just a touch soul shattering.
I opened up my email to see my results from last semester (they were released at 9am this morning), as I've said before I wasn't expecting fantastic marks. It's been a bit of a shit fight so far this year. Between drug abuse, depression, family issues and generally just spreading myself a little too thin on the ground it hasn't really been the most ideal environment for academic efforts.
Anyways, as much as it pains me to admit this... I failed my major unit for the semester (I got 48%) and have no idea about the other units as my results have been withheld (I'm assuming because I handed in my assignments at the last minute and they're still being assessed).
So now, if I can't manage to successfully appeal my results, no placement... yet another year of studies added to my degree... and a general sense of what the fuck have I done.

I really don't know what I'll do, failure was never something I factored into my plans and I'm not sure if I can continue studying for another couple of years.
I'm actually really scared about what this means for me, if I don't complete my degree I don't know what I'll do. All my plans for the future are based on this, so this little setback has really thrown a spanner into the works for me.

So many questions, but no hard answers yet.
I need to deal with this, but I'm so overwhelmed by the harsh reality of what this all means that I don't really know where to start.

FML

3 comments:

  1. Maybe it could help to take a long view. When you think of how many years you potentially have ahead of you, what's one more year at uni, especially when you consider the difference it makes for your remaining years.

    Furthermore, if the courses are either related to your career or electives, they should be interesting.

    You already had something of a wake up call when you realized that you were overextended. This underscores it, and it definitely a setback; but it does not ruin your life.

    So hang in there and do what you have to in order to complete your degree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I experienced the exact same thing - I basically flunked out one semester after much the same activities you partook in rather than studying. I must say this sounds exactly how I felt at that time. I was fortunate that it only cost me an extra term that I managed to cram into a summer. Yes, it was a wake up call.

    Don't give up now. Another year isn't too bad. You'll be better versed because taking the courses again will reinforce what you already know, but didn't test well on.

    Good luck, guy, it'll work out, you'll do FINE. (Oh, and a little begging and pleading for the points necessary to pass can't hurt, at least it will show them you care enough to try.)

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh heavens above, thinking of you loads in this troubled time.

    ReplyDelete