So now I have a boyfriend... and he's coming to stay the night on Tuesday.
Which means meeting my Mum, which I'm kinda spinning out about. But thats just cause I'm a perfectionist. Not because I'm worried about what either of them will think of the other.
There's a bit on my mind though so excuse me for a minute while I distract myself with the little things and remind myself that this will all work out the way I want it to.
I told Mum that I was having a visitor the other night (and by that I mean it was one of those I'm telling you this is going to happen, but kind of asking you permission at the same time kind of situations).
After making it clear that he would be staying the night and that I wasn't entirely sure what to call him (ie. friend/potential bf/bf etc) her initial reaction was what should she cook for dinner. Gotta love my Mum hey, never mind that her boy is having boys sleep over with him, the big issue is clearly what the fuck am I gonna feed them!?
So I've offered to cook, which is gonna mean Tuesday will be a HUGE day for me. Full day of classes, introducing the Artist to my Mum and of course cooking up a storm.
I'm going with the age old classic risotto. Not entirely sure what I'm gonna throw in it at this stage but I'm thinking it should probably be something simple... like mushrooms, spinach and chicken. Of course knowing me, this will probably turn into something much more elaborate. Hell, its the first time I've ever cooked for a boyfriend (well first time where it was something more than 2 minute noodles or something equally as crappy) so I'm just a wee bit excited.
The Artist keeps telling me he's shitting bricks about meeting my Mum, so I've made sure there's wine in my risotto so both of us can have a glass or two (purely to make sure its fit for human consumption of course!). So that should take care of his nerves, though he has nothing to worry about I'm sure he and Mum will get along like a house on fire.
One other little thought that popped into my head, is that its his birthday on Monday... Do I get him something or is it still a little soon for that kind of thing?
Perhaps I'll just pay for lunch, not really a present... but a nice gesture all the same.
So on to my big issue for the evening.
Mum finally gave Ian the arse tonight, but from the sounds of it she used me as her means to an end.
Last night, I parked in our driveway in front of the closed garage door (I was planning on going out later), unbeknown to me, Mum had told Ian to come round and that she'd leave the garage door open. She did as she said, just left out the fact that my car was parked there still thus making it seem as though I was purposefully trying to block the driveway for him.
Needless to say he was fuming about that.
Anyways, tonight he came round again Mum asked me to leave because she wanted to have 'the talk' with him. Yeah that kinda didn't happen, I fell asleep and apparently they kinda forgot about me. No biggie though...
After he left though, Mum was on the phone to her sister retelling the night's events to her which is when I walked out into the kitchen and overheard part of the conversation.
Apparently Mum had told Ian that I was having a 'friend' over on Tuesday night and that I had asked for a bit of privacy ie. No Ian. From what Mum was saying, Ian couldn't believe she was letting me do that.
In other words, Ian finally grew the balls to tell Mum what I'd thought all along... he had issues with me being gay.
Anyways, once again Mum used this to her advantage and told him that all any mother wants is to see her children happy, and if that means letting her son have another guy over for dinner then so be it.
I asked her about it a bit later, turns out she had no idea I'd heard any of the conversation (apparently I've perfected the art of sneaking around the house) and that she really has no problems with me having the Artist over whenever I want (so long as she likes him of course).
So an eventful night huh? I've begun to traverse that road in life with someone else holding my hand. Mum has sent Ian off to the magical land of Dumpsville.
And I've got a dinner to plan!
Nice things like this don't happen to me... but apparently I'm not dreaming either (I just pinched myself to make sure).
Deep breaths... cause I'm in for one hell of a ride!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

How cool is this? Nelo, what a great thing! Dinner for Mom and the Artist. Suggestion: Keep it simple, then if your brain goes into overload, the cooking is one less thing to worry about. HAHAHA
ReplyDeleteIt'll be fine. Your mom seems awesome. So that's covered. The Artist will be fine, I'm sure he's got the nervous jitters just like you do, but that's natural. But making sure the wine is fit is a good idea for both of you.
I'm so happy for you. I'm quite sure you are on cloud nine, and am also positive that things will go well. Enjoy!
Peace <3
Jay
I was going to say that maybe you should have let your mum do the cooking as she suggested rather than putting that much more pressure on yourself. But then I realized that a.) I haven't tasted your mum's cooking — no offense intended, she could be very good for aught I know — (and of course I've never tasted yours either, but then you've assured us many times over that you are a master in the kitchen), and b.) it seems that you thrive under pressure.
ReplyDeleteSo I'm sure everything will be great.
BTW, I'm no expert on such matters, but buying lunch for him on his birthday sounds like an excellent idea.
Well, I turn my back for a day or so and it all happens! My goodness me you little cup cake on life's cheeseboard, you're having The Artist over to stay, it's official and it's all moving on like a rapid fire machine gun. I'm so so very pleased for you, I knew it would all work out fine in the end! Not that this is the end, but you know what I mean.
ReplyDeleteWell done to your old mother, telling that no good so and so Ian the score, the sooner she gives him the boot the better as far as I'm concerned, but hey your cant change other peoples undies for them, as my old granny used to say. She's a strange one my granny!
Don't freak a lid and make a culinary masterpiece dear boy, keep it simple, light and easy, no point adding pressure to al already pressurised day!
Oh you'd better make him a card or buy one at the very least, it's like a must!! A token silly gift wouldn't go amiss either, but nothing too big or expensive, cuz that may just put the willies up him (and not the one you want anyway!)
Lunch is kinda a nice idea, sweet, romantic without being overblown, but hardly something to keep in his 'treasure' drawer or 'keep sakes' box, unless his a poop collector that is, in which case, never stay round his place!
Oh and nice things DO and SHOULD happen to you! xxx
I'm sure you will do well with the dinner.
ReplyDeleteI'm a bit late with the birthday thing, I agree with Jason 1.0, a card & lunch is not over doing it.
so, how did it go?
ReplyDelete