Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Greater Meaning...

So after booking an appointment to get my piercing, I did what everyone does when anything exciting happens in your world... posted a status about it on Facebook.

Most of the people that commented just did the expected and laughed at the fact that I'm getting another piercing (this one will be my 10th piercing, though only 6 of them are still in place). One person though, ironically a cousin of mine that I have met only once or twice in my life asked why I don't get tattoo instead.

Damn good question really, considering I've known what I want inked on my body for some years now.

Anyone who knows me well enough should be able to tell you I have a slight obsession with a classic Nintendo games series, The Legend of Zelda.
I own a copy of every game in the series (From memory they're up to about 13 games now) and those lucky enough to have taken a trip to my inner sanctum (AKA my bedroom) will probably have noticed the rather large shield I have hanging from my wall. A replica of the shield used by Link (the Hero of the series) in my all time favourite Zelda game, Ocarina of Time.
But I digress (though it is all somewhat related)...

For you see, the tattoo I want is none other than the Crest of Hyrule. While I realise the utter geekiness involved with getting a tattoo of a logo from a video game, there is a much deeper meaning to it all.


The triangles (AKA The Triforce) are meant to represent the 3 Goddesses responsible for the creation of the world of Hyrule. With each triangle representing Power, Courage and Wisdom. The Triforce itself representing a perfect balance of each of these 3 characteristics.
The symbol underneath it is a stylised representation of the Phoenix.

For me, it symbolises what I strive to achieve in life... a balance of Power, Courage and Wisdom. With the Phoenix representing the journey towards this and the ability to achieve one's goals no matter what life throws at you. I figure a bird that can be reborn from its own ashes is a pretty good symbol for triumphing over whatever little mishaps life throws at you.

With so many years of thought put into this, why the hell haven't I gone and gotten it done?
Well, there's a few reasons for that...
1) Placement: I'm not entirely sure where I want to get it tattooed, and seeing as you don't really get a second chance I kinda wanna be happy with where it ends up!
2) Ink: Me always needing to be a little different, wants to have the Triforce done in UV reactive ink (the idea being that it glows, just like the 'real' Triforce). Only problem is there are very few people around who are willing to work with this medium (mainly due to some rather stupid people using some very toxic UV inks back in the day).
3) I'm not sure if I should get it as a reminder to myself that I can achieve whatever I set my mind to, or to wait until I've achieved my balance of the 3 characteristics it symbolises.

And I know, some people will react with the standard comment of 'How are you gonna feel about it when you're 80?'
Truth is, I honestly don't think my opinions will have changed. Sure, chances are I will have out grown my love for all things Zelda. But I don't think my reasons behind it will ever become outdated. -Plus, it looks kinda cool and most people wouldn't know it was from a video game unless I told them.

And seeing as thats 2 blogs in one day, I think I'm gonna go do something outside for a while.

Nelo

3 comments:

  1. One thing about piercings is that they can be fairly easily removed when you no longer want to gross people out. But a tattoo is basically a permanent disfigurement.

    So if you must degrade your appearance, my advice is to stick with the piercings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never understand tattoos either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been considering a tattoo, too. Nothing quite as circumspect as yours, but I like your thinking. I guess it's the permanence and placement that have held me back. My only suggestion, Nelo, is to place it where you can at least cover it if it's inappropriate for it to be seen, like at job interviews, etc.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete