Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Time to burn...

Didn't get the job... Apparently I'm too over qualified... Go figure!
Meanwhile in my current state of unemployment, I've decided to turn my hand to something a bit more fun and start designing an epic dessert for Christmas lunch -There's gonna be a few guests that aren't family this year, so I figured I'd show off a little.

My idea thus far is to create something that looks like a cup of coffee, but isn't.
Originally I was going to make individual Chocolate and Raspberry Panna Cottas with a Vanilla Vodka Syrup served in a latte glass with a Shortbread and some kind of Chocolate Truffle on the side, all decorated with flakes of edible silver leaf.

Sounds pretty cool huh? But now I'm thinking I might omit the raspberries and turn the vodka syrup into some kind of foam (to make it look more like a cappuccino).
Definitely time to turn to the recipe books for a touch of inspiration me thinks...

And yes, I clearly need to find a new job and soon cause all this free time of mine is a dangerous thing! -Aside from dessert, I'm already planning how to redecorate my bedroom among other things...

Maybe I just need to find a very time consuming hobby for the moment! Any ideas?

9 comments:

  1. Did you ask them what sort of job you are well qualified for, and whether they have such jobs, and if so are there any openings at present, and if not could you be notified when one becomes available?

    Meanwhile, that should be a spectacular dessert.

    Thinking about food, it occurs to me that you might enjoy reading about the restaurant I went to this evening. http://deuxave.com/
    I started with the foie gras, continued with the seared scallops (pictured in the slideshow when you go to the menu page), and ended with the apple cider soup. It was a satisfying meal. It was my first experience of foie gras — I wonder how it differs from foie maigre, but it was good. The main course was almost overpowering with the medley of flavo(u)rs; and the soup was delightful (no flower petals, though).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention: the soup is also pictured in the slideshow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you like to cook & it is Christmas, how about home made Christmas cake. See if family, friends, neighbours would buy home made Christmas cake. Homemade is so much nicer than shop, more fruit & nuts. It is pricey, so you have to work out the costs & it will give you some pocket money. Oh also mince pies.

    Just a though, maybe not what you had in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to sound like a old fart now... Was it really wise to leave the chef job before you had something else to go to? I don't believe in burning bridges, you never know when you might need them again. Now if you know for certain of another job then blow the whole place up.

    Old fart signing off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh you lil diamond, that vodder thing sounds so delightful, as does the rest of it. In fact I'm so tempted to just hop on over soI can come for Christmas. I wont want presents, just feeding! Hehe

    Oh hard luck on the job thingy. It's horrid being over qualified for a job - happened to me once, years and years back at a supermarket - I was under qualified for a trainee managers position and over qualified for the cleaner position!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm keeping it simple: gingerbread (baking it for first time from a recipe Jack sent me), and tree bark.

    Good Luck!
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Kemptoo: Don't stress about the old fart thing, I've asked myself the same question. I'm not one for burning bridges either, but if I had've stayed at Warrenmang any longer I would've been more miserable than I am now. I would rather have no money than work for an arsehole like Bullfrog.
    Don't think I'll be making Christmas Cake anytime soon, I can't stand it. It's vile... And I've tried more than my fair of homemade and store bought ones over the years. -Hence my efforts at stopping Mum from making another one this year.

    @ Nat: Well ahead of you buddy :) I've emailed my old boss to see if she needs a hand atm and as soon as Pete is back from leave at the hospital I'll be hitting him up for some hours again, afterall he did ask me if I'd be willing to work some other shifts if I was unsuccessful with the interview. So I'm not done and dusted just yet!

    @ Jase: You're more than welcome... Though Mamma tends to be a little heavy handed with the meat goods at Christmas (Last year she had 4 different roasts).

    @ Jay: Gingerbread and Tree bark!?! Sounds most interesting! I look forward to seeing an epic post about that one in the near future :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heavy on the meat is not too good for a veggie, but hey when in Australia........

    I'm so tempted.............

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sending you a virtual hug. Cos well done on the bravery. :)

    ReplyDelete