For you see, the person who is causing such trouble is none other than my Auntie... little miss pious herself. My amusement stems purely from this and not so much that the money issue arises from the will of my still living grandfather.
See my Auntie is a Born Again Christian and while she thinks she treads such a high and mighty path, she is perhaps the most corrupt person I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
Her life before finding whatever it is she sees in the elaborate fairy tale she refers to as the Holy Bible was one of drugs and debauchery. While this in itself has lead to some most interesting discussions, I find it hard to come to terms with how one so damaged can think herself so pure now.
She is one of the most cunning people I've ever dealt with, in one breath she tells me I'm going to hell for not reading the Bible, in another she is crying out to Centrelink (the Australian Government's body in charge of handing out welfare support payments) saying she is crippled by chronic back pain -Despite the fact that she is still more than capable of doing things even I'm not willing to try.
Pretty sure there's a Commandment or two relating to that, something along the lines of 'Thou Shall Not Steal' and 'Thou Shall Not Lie' (or something to that effect).
While I understand that she is merely looking out for her own best interests, why must such deeds be done at the expense of others?
For example, I currently need to buy a new car after the demise of my last one.
There is one sitting in the garage at the moment which belongs to my Grandfather, who needs to sell it as he no longer needs it.
Unfortunately, I am in no position to pay for it outright (it's worth about 8 or 9 grand) so I put it to Mum and Aunty J (them being in charge of Pop's finances and such) that I outlay a sum of 1-2 grand now and pay the balance off in weekly installments as though I had gotten a loan from the bank.
Doing it this way seems to benefit everyone, I get a car and Pop gets his money over time. While this seems to disadvantage him slightly, it is actually quite advantageous as if he goes into a Nursing Home (as is highly likely in the coming months) having a large sum of money in his possession will incur higher fees and things for him when it comes to paying for his accommodations in Death's Waiting Room.
So it's a Win/Win for all right?
Wrong... Auntie J wants Mum to sell the car for no less than $10,000. Aside from the fact that this is more than the car itself is currently valued at, there is also the issues of his registration being due in a couple of months and the costs of having a roadworthy certificate being provided for its sale and title transfer (which will instantly see Pop loosing about a grand). Even more infuriating are her reasons for all of this, she needs Pop to give her a loan (AGAIN) so she can perform further renovations to her house.
I can't begin to describe just how angry that woman makes me and there's probably a good rant or five in the making for some poor soul to listen to before I even begin to scratch the surface (I've already told Mum never to leave me in a room alone with Auntie J for fear of what I might say).

The other fun issue floating around at the moment is the fact that Mum is taking Pop to see his solicitor next week so they can have his will re-written (he lost the other copy). I fully begged her to do anything in her power to prevent J from being listed as an executor of Pop's will and I'm glad to say she not only listened, but agreed with me! (I found out later on that J had previously discussed with Mum about having my deceased Uncle's only child left out of it -Read more money for J).
I don't know, why can't people just be happy with what they have?
So many in this world have nothing and yet still manage to find something in their lives to make them smile, yet so many are driven by greed and the urge to gain and wield whatever power they can no matter what the cost to others.
I guess I'm just one of those strange few that is of the understanding that anything I truly need will be provided for me by whatever powers that be float around our universe (with a little effort on my part too) and anything else I gain along the way is merely a bonus and a reward for sticking out the bad times.
For now though, it's time to sleep. For tomorrow is a new day, hopefully a nice sunny one! Cause all this rain is starting to do my head in... we're but a few short days from the beginning of another Aussie summer, I should be complaining about sunburn and how quickly my beer goes warm!
Love to you all,
xoxo
Nelo

Maybe she thinks forsaking the drugs and debauchery are enough of a conversion for her.
ReplyDeleteOhh what a hateful money grabbing cowpat by the sounds of it.
ReplyDeleteThe car idea sounded perfect to me, a real win / win but that old bag doesn't see it like that - they often dont!
I so know someone like that, she's just the same and has the gall to call herself a christian!
Make sure she doesn't get her hands on the money
At least there's a will...my dad won't consider it. Ugh. The fallout will not be nice at all, and there's hardly a pot to piss in, but you can bet there will be a fight. Good luck on the car. I'd sell you my dad's but shipping a 20+ year old car to Aussieland would be silly!
ReplyDeletePeace <3
Jay
Have you tried to get a personal loan through your bank to buy another car? You said you would pay back monthly for "Pop's" car. It's worth a try & the rates can be reasonable. There is also not the clause that the car must be so many years old for the bank to finance it. A personal loan is the way to go if you want to buy an older cheaper car. Then when you know how much they are prepared to borrow you, you can then look around for something (good) in that that price range. Your Mom most probably will have to sign surety for you as a condition, so you would have to talk to her first. Before accepting make sure you can afford the repayments.
ReplyDeleteI had the vultures experience when my mom died couple years back. Not a pretty sight two woman going to blows over something stupid as patterns. So you can imagine the fun & games when it came to stuff like jewelry. I said to my dad I don't want to be in his will & preferably to have the reading in another country. If that is not possible to let me know before time when he is going to die, so I have a head start & get myself out of the country. FamDamly you have to love them.
Hey Kemptoo, thanks for the advice but a bank loan is completely out of the question for me. As a student, is would be financial suicide! Plus, Mum would never agree to being Guarantor for the loan (and considering my extended families history in that area, I don't want to put her in the position) -My uncle and auntie lost my grandparents house because they couldn't afford to make their loan repayments.
ReplyDeletemmmm, skipping the country doesn't sound like such a bad idea... Though I'm sure I could just disappear for a while if need be!