What a weekend! Arrived at Stereosonic just in time to see one of my fave bands playing (with just enough time to buy a couple of horribly overpriced drinks to keep me hydrated!), so within a few minutes I found myself in the centre of an extremely sweaty crowd jumping and dancing around like a lunatic. Sadly their hour long set felt like it went for all of about 10mins. Ah well, time flies when you're having fun I suppose!
Could've done without getting covered in the rest of the crowds sweat though. lol
The rest of the day was spent just wandering at random and catching whatever sets caught my ear at the time. All in all, it was quite a fun day.
The crappy part came when it was time to leave, we lost one of my little brother's mates in the crowd and took freaking ages to find him again (didn't help that the mobile phone reception was overloaded and only 1 in 10 calls was able to be connected!) -But I guess these things are to be expected when thousands of people are all trying to call people at the same concert.
We all found one another eventually though and decided that we'd walk up a few blocks before we attempted to call a Taxi to take us home... this turned into a 2km walk to a local pub where we waited for a good half hour for 3 taxis that never arrived (and we weren't even allowed into the pub for a beer!). Anyways, after waiting for so long we decided to go in search of food and drink as we were getting a little peckish so off we wandered again, this time heading towards Highpoint (One of the shopping centres nearby). Big mistake... to get there we ended up having to walk up a hill which had no footpath and a rather busy road so we had to deal with prickles and oncoming traffic (and still no Taxi!).
We got to Highpoint (probably another 3km from out last stop) and then it dawned on us, it was nearly midnight... what the hell was gonna be open?
So off we trudged again to the nearest Macdonald's (which was just up the road) -No joy, it had just shut... As had the Pizza shop next to it (my grand plan was to have them deliver a pizza to D's house and take us with them)
By this time of the night all 4 of us were absolutely fucked from being on our feet all day, but we figured we might as well just continue walking (by this time we were only a couple of kms from home).
So yeah, after some 8kms of walking we eventually made it back to D's house. Never have I been so glad to sit down!
After 8hrs of running around a festival and then another 2-3hrs of walking, my feet and knees were about ready to give up the ghost. I actually wore a hole in the sole of one of my shoes!
So yeah, best day ever... with the most epic mission home ever...
However, the drive to get food after wards was perhaps the best part of the night.
Oh and today, I got a call from the Hospital to offer me a job (told you my old manager loved me!). Means I'll have to work on Christmas Day, but these things happen. I'll just have to make sure my epic dessert is ready to be served regardless of my being there...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Good to hear about the job part. When do you start?
ReplyDeleteWas this not the D you spoke of before that sms to go to Stereosonic & maybe there is a story to come out of it. I take it, nothing came of it as there is no mention.
Do you not have any 24hr fast food places open there? I thought Africa is behind the times. The local MacDonald's here is open 24hrs among others. But then you say you got food later so there must be some places open.
Were you that ruff looking the local pub would not let you in. I'm sure your tongue was hanging out by then.
Please enlighten me, what is "deal with prickles".
Yes, it was D that I went with. Though nothing major came out of it, the two of us just spent the day laughing at one anothers antics and hanging shit on my younger bro.
ReplyDeleteWe have plenty of 24hr stores open, be they service stations or fast food. It was just unfortunate that none of them were on our route home (or at least none that we were willing to stop at)
It wasn't that we were rough looking, it was because everyone except me was in either a singlet top or thongs (most pubs and clubs won't let you in without shirt and closed footwear on) and I didn't want to get left behind because I was hanging out for a beer, so I stayed outside with everyone else.
lol, I keep forgetting that not everyone who reads this speaks fluent Aussie Slang like me! 'Deal with prickles' just means that I had to walk through thistles and other prickly grasses because it was either that or risk being hit by traffic.
Sounds like an epic day! Great to have survived your personal Odyssey.
ReplyDeleteAnd congrats on the job.
BTW, it took me a moment to realize what kind of thongs you were talking about — actually I needed the mention of footwear to clear it up. LOL
Whoops, yes... when I say 'Thongs' I don't mean the lacy kind... I actually mean 'Flip Flops'.
ReplyDeleteAwesome, dude! I loved days like that, back in the day! I remember slipping under the fence at a Southern Rock 4th of July concert once, then shoving our cooler of beer through, and pulling my 3 friends through next, then discovering we'd just crawled through the overflow of the portable loos and the water bibs that were leaking. Made for a smelly few minutes til we could find enough running water to wash ourselves off!
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a good time!
Peace <3
Jay