Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Now can I have a a holiday?

So much has happened in the last week it's hard to know exactly where to start! I feel like I've been kept in my own little solitary confinement cell and have just been let out.

Thurs-Sunday I managed to work some 40 odd hours in the restaurant. For the record, pulling a 40 hour week in less than the usual 5 days is not recommended!
I currently look like I've gone 5 rounds with a champion boxer. I've got cuts and burns all over my hands and forearms and enough mucus coming out of my nose to sink a small boat.

But even though I let myself get so run down that I've got some kind of festy flu bug, I wouldn't swap the time for all the riches of the world!
Sure it was a damn hard slog and the Apprentice and I managed to pull it all off by some kind of fluke, but hearing the resort owner come in to the kitchen to tell us that the food we served him was some of the best he'd ever eaten made it all worth it.
As did the $80 bottle of wine he gave each of us...

Still, I've never been so happy than when I got to sign my time sheet on Sunday afternoon. It was such a beautiful day, I was stoked that I actually got to see some sunshine for a change!

Monday, well I thought I'd get to enjoy the last day of my mid-semester holidays by sleeping in and beginning to recover from my snotty nosed condition.
Boy was I ever wrong!
Mother dear had quite different plans for me, instead of sleeping I got to make an early morning trip to Melbourne with her.
The reason for this? Because her father (my grandpa) was being discharged from hospital and being placed in her care for a week or two while he recovers.

So I spent my last day of holidays driving to Melbourne and back (Mum needed to drive Pop's car home as he'd driven himself to the hospital) and helping make sure the spare room was clean and ready for our latest house guest.

Gotta say, 6 hours of driving does not make for a fun day.

It's a bit of a shitty situation really, I've been lumped with the task of making sure he takes his meds and doesn't burn down the house or break a hip while Mum's at work (I get relieved of this when she gets home around 5). Don't get me wrong, I don't mind helping out. It's just that he's so much hard work sometimes and I've got enough on my plate right now with uni and work stuff that I truly don't have the time to do all this -I've actually had to ask for extensions on essays just so I didn't have to stress as much.

Best of all though, I've almost finished sorting out my room today :)
I've finally got a place to hang the Dali prints Mum bought me back from England a few years ago, a bookshelf that is stuffed full of all my favourite books. It's actually starting to feel like my own little home.

But this is all just wasting time, I have a job application to write and two essays to finish...

Night all :)

Nelo

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the successful weekend at the restaurant. That's great!

    In my country we have agencies that can supply home health aides to take care of homebound people. Their services are flexible, including suck things as personal care (bathing, cleaning, dressing), meal preparation, tidying up, physical therapy, presence — they'll do what is needed when it's needed, generally paid by the hour. Maybe there is something like that Down Under that you and your mum could use as needed to give you (and maybe her) a break, especially when you have other things to take care of. whether it's certain days, or certain hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's numerous services available like that Naturgesetz. But they're not really needed atm. Pop is still able to do everything himself, he just needs someone around to make sure he takes his meds and things when he's supposed to.
    Mum and her sister have things covered for the moment, it's just crappy timing.
    The other reason why they're doing it themselves is to observe exactly how he's coping.

    And thanks :) I'm still rather stoked about our efforts in the restaurant too. Turns out I know a hell of a lot more about food than I ever gave myself credit for :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always surprise me at how well you manage to do things without me having to come over in my tea break to kick your butt.

    Mind you, I'm on a very long tea break, so perhaps, I might just come and kick that butt anyway, just for fun, you understand. I don't have any kinky peccadilloes for butt kicking - just thought I'd straighten that out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fort Lauderdale is nice this time of year!

    ReplyDelete