Monday, September 6, 2010

27 Candles for 36 Cupcakes and 1 Birthday Wish

And so tomorrow marks the day of the 27th aniversary of my birth.
It also marks the due date of 2 minor essays, and a counsellor's appointment which I've decided to reschedule.
-As much and all as I need a vent, my birthday is not the day to be doing these things. And besides, I've kept it shut up inside for this long, whats a few more days gonna do?

I'm actually looking forward to my birthday this year though, god only knows why I've had enough of them to realise what usually goes on.

-The endless torrent of phonecalls and messages starting at around 8am (People clearly do not understand the ritual of the birthday sleep in)

-The presents (although these days I'm usually just given Mum and Dad's credit card and I show them what they bought for me when I get back home, apparently I'm an impossible person to buy gifts for.)

-The cake, though I'm making my own this year so I'm not sure if that really counts. But boy is it ever gonna be an awesome cake! I've worked it out that I should need about 4 tiers of cupcakes to have enough to share with the entire class.

-The awkward family dinner, last year this resulted in Dad and I having a fairly graphic conversation about how unlikely it was that I was going to get anybody pregnant anytime soon. -Apparently this isn't appropriate conversation for the dinner table, and so should probably not be repeated here either. Needless to say Mum was slightly mortified by it all.

And then there's the worst part of all... the dreaded singing of 'Happy Birthday'.
I swear I have a phobia of being the centre of attention at occassions such as this. I have been known to suddenly go missing at crucial moments so as to avoid having to stand in front of a crowd of people and be the single focus of every set of eyes in the room.

Oh and the one thing I've missed, the birthday wish...
Every year I make one, but this year I seem to be drawing blanks.
The idea of wishing for material possessions seems like a bad idea and I don't really think the universe is capable of making an iPad or a roll of freshly minted $100 bills magically materialise on my front door step.
I already have my health, so there's not point wishing for more of that (that's just plain greedy!)

Maybe I'll just wish for something I've been striving so hard to achieve all year...
A fresh start.
Rather apt I think, 5 years since I found out I didn't have HIV and possibly the hardest time of my life to date.
So tomorrow as blow out the candles on my cake, that's all I'll wish for... A fresh start. No more bullshit, just happy little me :)

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Nelo, happy birthday to you. And yes, I was singling that as I typed it.

    Another year older, another year done, another year when about to start that really has already begun. Here's a chance to be positive, forward and jolly, it is the time for fresh starts, well it bloody well better be, or I'm coming over to kick you up the arse!

    Much love and hugs for this day of rebirth, I feel this next year for you is gonna be great - really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, I can just imagine you singing along to that too!
    Maybe just maybe, I'll cook up a delightful little New York style cheesecake for you (if only to fatten my arse up so you don't break something)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheesecake, mmmm now you know the way in to my heart!

    I was tempted to just hop on over, just for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already knew the way to your heart, 2 years of studying Anatomy and Physiology have taught me the quickest way to a man's heart is straight up under his rib cage with a sharp implement...

    Romantic little sod aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is so true, but they tend to be a bit cross when you do that at the dinner table!

    ReplyDelete