Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Smile

So today has been fucking brilliant. Maybe even more so than that...

Kind of strange really considering it started with me attending an appointment with the counsellor at uni...

So anyways, I walked into Student Services fully checking behind me to see that noone I knew was coming (yes, I was just a wee bit embarrassed about being there) and then entered the doors.

Kudos to the receptionist there, she put a smile on my face instantly without really having to do anything. As did the chick walking in as I was leaving, but I'll get to that in a minute.

After filling in a few little forms and bits and pieces, Jim came out to get me.
Right about now is when my thoughts pretty much turned to 'What the fuck am I doing?'.
Went into his office, gotta admit it was a bit sparce and sterile but it was a beautiful sunny day outside and seeing that through the windows more than made up for any shortfalls he'd brought about by the lack of personality in his space.

Now began the fun part... building an instant sense of trust and rapport. Some vitally important for the two of us for pretty obvious reasons really.
I started by pointing out that I was usually the one in his seat doing the counselling, he started by going through the standard confidentiality stuff. I did have a bit of a laugh at that, I've explained it so many times to clients but never have I ever sat there and heard it from their point of view.

Strangely enough though, he put me at ease pretty much straight away. Actually, thats not entirely true, I decided to give him a chance and poured my little heart out to him because I knew I was desperate to get some of the shit off my chest I've been carrying around with me of late.
He was just nice enough to listen...

So over the course of an hour, the two of us explored my relationship with Mum and also my relationship with Ian.
Funnily enough, talking it all through with him allowed me to realise a few things, most of which I already knew but hearing it from somebody else just made it seem more pertinent to me.

I walked in there feeling like shit and walked out feeling as though a load had just been lifted from my shoulders. So Jim's given me a few strategies to try out over the coming weeks to try and ease some of the pressure I'm under -Making the best of a bad situation was how he put it.
Anyways, before I left I filled in the evaluation form they'd given me. It amazed me to see just how much an hour had changed my general outlook and mood.

So anyways, just as I was packing up my bag to leave a woman walked in the door. I looked up at her and smiled thinking nothing of it.
As she walked past, she commented on just how beautiful my smile was. -I honestly can't remember the last time someone told me that.
Which just made me smile even more.

By this point, I was late to class (the appt didn't finish till 10mins after class had started) but rather than heading straight up I decided I wanted a quick break to collect my thoughts. So off I went to get a coffee...

Normally, caffeine and uni go hand in hand for me. I need the energy boost to get through the day. Or so I thought at least, today though by the time I'd gotten to the counter I'd convinced myself that that wasn't entirely true, so I opted for a Chai Latte instead. -I know, it just screams pretentious tosser. But I don't particularly like plain black tea.

So yeah that was that, best part though was handing in the two assignments that have been hanging over my head for the past couple of weeks. Not particularly proud of either of them, but I'm hanging out to see what the reaction of my lecturer will be when she reads them...

On that note, it's 3am and I have a presentation to finish. Gotta love the last minute rush to complete group assignments... I wish they'd been a tad more organised!

Oh yeah, I also went to see Mr J in hospital today (he had his tonsils ripped out). But that my dears is another story for another time ;)

2 comments:

  1. Ohh I like another story for another time please! How is Mr J and what is going to become of him, now that you are not escaping down to Melbourne just yet!

    I'm so pleased the visit to the counsellor has help, if nothing other than to have it off your chest, to open up and verbalise our own thoughts on a situation, often in itself helps a great deal and encourage understanding. But, you are a smart cookie and you'll be just fine.

    Yes, I'm still barking for choccie, but I thank you for your offer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story is up Jase ;) -Looking forward to hearing your comments.

    Yeah, I'm itching to talk with Mum about some of the stuff the counsellor was talking to me about. One thing in particular being the positives of her being with Ian, cause I only ever seem to hear the negatives. Which is of course going to taint my views of him.

    Resist the urge...
    Just think, if you were a recovering heroin addict one little 'hit' would put you right back where you began. Next time you want chocolate, think of it as heroin you're injecting into a vein.
    That's how I gave up smoking...

    ReplyDelete