Tuesday, May 25, 2010

An aussie car park?

So today was a wee bit fucked up...
Started with it pissing down rain outside, got to class to find we had a guest speaker talking to us about Grief and Loss.
I can't imagine how I could have a more depressing morning really. Nothing sets the scene better than talking about death while it's all grey and gloomy outside.
I swear though, if I ever hear another story about someone's grandparents dying or what their funeral was like I'm gonna scream!

Anyways, the day picked up after that... Found out one of my essays was ready to be collected from the office -cue that feeling of utter dread and nervousness where you kinda wanna know what your mark is but at the same time you kinda don't.
This wasn't helped knowing that my lecturer is renowned for being a hard arse marker!

But I got it back, and to my surprise opened the first page to find a half page comment and at the end of it an 'A'. FUCK YEAH! I GOT AN A! (21/25)
Fiona wrote the most awesome comments on it too... I couldn't believe how well I had done. Especially considering I'd finished it at about 2am the night before it was due.
Which was kinda obvious when I got the essay back as I'd stapled lecture notes from another subject onto the back page of it by accident... Whoops!

See... I told them that I was capable of pulling off a better mark than an F!
Guess they knew that all along though, otherwise they would've expelled me from the course after my poor efforts last year.

Think I'm gonna do something a bit strange and sucky next week (it's our last class for the semester). -Last year one of the ladies in the class brought in a whole heap of scones with jam and cream.
I thought it was a great idea and according to Adler and Rodman (2009)* incorporating food into activities is a great way to increase relationships between group members.

*Sorry, couldn't resist throwing an academic joke in there... it's an APA referencing style of citation (My frenemy for all my subjects)

So yeah, I figured I'd go into a bit of a baking frenzy next Monday... I'm thinking various scones ranging from your more traditional lemonade ones to good old date and maybe even some pumpkin ones... Coupled of course with some fresh home made raspberry jam...

So yeah, it's totally teacher's pet of me but it's been my favourite class this semester and I thought it would be a nice way to say goodbye to my class mates and thanks to Fiona.

Moving on though... had a bit of a chuckle as I walked back to my car. One of the ovals at school had a mob of about 12 kangaroos on it (Yeah, we have kangaroos who have made themselves at home on campus).
Anyways, all I could think of was a conversation I was having with a mate the other day about how many American tourists think we ride kangaroos around the countryside...
So I took a moment to ponder if a tourist walked past would they mistake it for an Aussie car park?

2 comments:

  1. Kangaroos in the gallery! So when they aren't providing transportation, they enjoy watching golf.

    Congrats on the good grade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice car park, or I suppose if I was American I'd say a nice Roo-mobile park or some such silly thing.

    It's very delightful seeing such strange critters plonked up on the grass.

    Well done on the A, you're a real smart cookie and don't let anyone tell you different.!

    ReplyDelete