Monday, May 17, 2010

Risotto with a hint of rude

What an evening :)
Got a little inspired earlier and thought I'd do something nice and cook tea for Mum and I (OK, so part of that was because I'm so over eating curry every night of the week).
So the menu? Well, I thought it would be a nice chance to use the $200 recipe book Mum bought me a few years ago that I had yet to actually use.
I thought I'd get as far away from curries and crap as I possibly could so went for a nice classic Italian risotto. The idea of a basic lemon risotto was a bit lack lustre for my liking though, so I bulked it up a bit with a few different kinds of mushrooms and chicken.
Add some decent fresh parmesan cheese, a good half hour of continuous stirring and there you have it, one heavenly lemon, chicken and mushroom risotto (and one hell of a workout for the biceps and triceps on my right arm!)

Drawback? Mum invited Ian over for dinner (after I specifically asked her if anyone else was going to be round -and made special mention of him).
Worse still? Mum had the gall to ask me to eat in my room! -Tell me why I went to all the effort of making risotto from scratch just so I could be confined to my room again?

Ah, well... I'm outta here soon enough. And Mum and I have an agreement where who ever cooks tea doesn't do the dishes. Meaning mother dear gets to clean up tonight...
What's that? I forgot to rinse out the rice and melted parmesan encrusted pot? geez, that's gonna be a bitch for someone to clean.

And now, thanks to a massive bowl of it, I feel like I'm about to explode.
Might as well sing my own praises for a bit...
It was freaking awesome! The rice was cooked to perfection, was a bit rich before I added the lemon to it, but that mellowed all the flavours out a little.
I'll stop there before I start describing textures and layers of flavours and other wanky things like that.
Just take my word for it, it was amazing :) -Hopefully that'll inspire Mum to cook something that doesn't come straight from a jar or even somewhat resemble an indian or thai curry.
Actually, I think I might actually make her a traditional Indian curry from scratch one night before I leave just to show her what they're supposed to taste like.

Right now though, there's an essay that needs to be done... the final countdown is about to begin! Stay tuned loyal readers :)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the awesome risotto. Mum might want to try doing it herself if it weren't for the clean-up. Same for the authentic curry: I'm sure it will be absolutely delicious, but if it's "too much" work to prepare and clean up, she may not feel like trying it on her own.

    That is so annoying — bad enough that she concealed the fact that Ian was coming, worse that you had to go to your room. Well at least you didn't have to eat with Ian. ;)

    Staying tuned.


    Word verification: ducki

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's done it, you're jumping on a passing 747 and coming over here in your lunch break tomorrow. I want you to cook me some nice, risotto or similar, but you'd have to eat it with me!

    I'm pissed at your mother for making you eat in your room after you slogged away at making such a nice meal.

    ReplyDelete