Ahhh, another weekend of work over! Gotta love that feeling...
Best of all, it's quiet next weekend, so Daniel has given me the weekend off :)
But more on that later!
This weekend has been totally nuts, last night Mo (the awesome apprentice) was feeling sick so I ended up doing Dinner service for her. BIG mistake! I got absolutely slammed!
I think we had 40 booked for dinner, and about 10 of those ordered food from Daniel's section! Bastards... So I was flat out, but apparently I did alright for the numbers we had in and considering I was thrown in the thick of it.
I do have a couple of battle wounds from my efforts, but it was kinda fun.
Today was much of the same, it was the After Harvest Luncheon today... So we had 90 guests to send a 6 course meal out to. Again, us awesome kitchen staff managed to pull it off perfectly :) (Even with a few minor fuck ups by James)
Except, I'm not sure if I should feel sorry or just annoyed at the new apprentice they have employed there.
So here's why.... (I'll warn you now, this could seem a bit bitchy)
He's apparently a 2nd year apprentice, so you expect him to have at least a little knowledge of how to work in a kitchen.
But I dunno, he just seems to get in the way more often than not. He just stands back and watches silently rather than jumping in and trying it for himself.
Like today, for the actual main dish (Lamb with mushroom ragout, truffle scented mash and a lamb jus) during service. His one job was to put a scoop of mash on the plate (even after showing him exactly what to do) and he used all of the mash before asking if we had more... Leaving me with the task of heating cold mash to temp in about 30 seconds. -I dunno if I'm just being to harsh... but wouldn't you think that you'd say something when you noticed you still had 20 plates left but nothing to put on them?
The other thing that worries me is that he tells about how much he drinks... a beer on the way to work in the morning, and the trip to the pub straight after work...
I guess I feel bad because everyone gets me to do stuff, but noone ever asks him. Yes, I can do it... But I'm not the one who needs to learn this stuff!
Even the menu tonight (which had all the assisting chefs/apprentices names on it -mine included.) omitted his name from the list -They were printed off this morning...
So yeah, maybe I'll try to take him under my wing a bit... but I don't think it'll do any good.
In other news, I may have found a house :) Right where I wanted it... for the price I wanted. I'd be living with two other girls... but they seem pretty cool too. *fingers crossed it all works out*
So I plan to go check it out when I'm in Melbs next week.
I told Mo that I was moving soon, she's demanding that I come back to Warrenmang on weekends to work. lol
Time for bed though... Getting my hair cut tomorrow :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It'll be a fine thing if you can get James's approach to the work adjusted. Worth a try. Maybe it's not his métier, but you might as well try to show him what it's all about. Maybe he just feels overwhelmed.
ReplyDeleteWhat a busy weekend, full of challenges, well done for stepping up to the mark,getting the job done.
ReplyDeleteNope it didn't sound bitchy, but the drinking a beer on the way to work is a bit dodgy if you ask me, but I guess as 'the new guy' he could feel a little pressured and finding it hard to fit into an already established kitchen.
I dunno, I just marvel at anyone who can cope and work in a kitchen, I have hard enough job cooking for myself, I panic when it's more than two!