Monday, April 5, 2010

Assistant Chef Nelo?

Finally made it home from my first day back at work.
I fucking loved every minute of it! I'd forgotten just how much fun it is to work in kitchens! Most people would think I'm crazy for getting enjoyment out of the shit I pulled off today, but for me it was incredible!

I barely slept last night because my mind was running at a million miles a minute worrying about being thrown into the thick of things and not living up to the expectations of the Chef I was working under.
So all in all I think I pulled off about 3hrs of sleep... not exactly the most ideal way to begin work!
Still, I made it there early with the help of a little Red Bull.
Even got to sit down to some Eggs Benedict for breakfast while I waited for the Chef to turn up. Now that's an awesome start to a day! Fresh coffee and my favourite breakfast of all time :)

Dan finally turned up about 15mins before service started and gave me a 30 second run down of what the menu was and what I'd be responsible for cooking and plating up during Lunch service. Nothing like a good baptism by fire to get ones heart pumping!
About 10mins into service I learned a rather important lesson which for some stupid reason I had forgotten... When metal things come out of an oven, they're hot!
So I now have a lovely blister in between my thumb and first finger.
But did I let that get in my way? Hell no... didn't even stop to administer first aid.
Must admit, the pain was pretty incredible at the time, searing one's finger on the metal handle of a frying pan will do this though.

We eventually made it through the chaos that was lunch though, no idea how many covers we did, only that we were flat out the entire time. I think Daniel was kind of impressed that I kept up and didn't fuck up (to tell you the truth, so was I!).

The rush was incredible though, there is just nothing like knowing you've got 4 tables waiting for their food and racing against the clock to get it all out in a timely manner and looking amazing. All my doubts were forgotten in an instant and I just jumped in and went hell for leather.

Dinner service was much more relaxed though, and as a result I got to sample most of the menu. For a fat little Brisbane boy, Dan can sure pump out some awesome stuff!
Of course my favourite part was sampling the desserts... Chocolate cake made with Single Malt Whiskey (with chocolate sauce and praline ice cream just to make it a little more indulgent) and then Lavender Panna Cotta with red wine poached pears and home made biscotti. Dang, my taste buds surely died and went to heaven tonight...
The flavours in his food are amazing, they're so well balanced and while they're very strong and robust the work wonderfully together!

Didn't take long for the owner of the Winery/Resort to work out who I was (He's alive today because my Dad dragged him out of his car moments before it went up in flames after he had an accident) so I got to hear all about that. It's humbling to hear someone talk about my Dad with such affection and the realisation that he's alive today because of Dad's selfless actions.

Oh, and best of all... They've offered me more permanent work there. The executive chef is gonna give me a call at some point tomorrow to run some dates past me.
I did find it amusing to see that he'd written me down as Assistant Chef. I'm a cook... I turned down a scholarship offered to me by the top hospitality school in the state because I didn't want to be a chef.
Once again, I owe Trace big time. I wouldn't be the person I am today without her!

Either way, I get the feeling I'm gonna be somewhat busy over the coming months.
So I'll just say farewell to my social life now... See you in a few months!

Right now though, I'm so cracking one of the bottles of wine I was given today... After working the better part of 12hrs, I think I deserve it!

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on a great day!

    I know that having the right ingredients makes a difference, but how different is a chocolate cake for having single malt whisky rather than a blend?

    If the assistant chef thing continues to be to your liking …
    — might you go to the hospitality school after all;
    — could this change your plans to move to your state's capital city?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chocolate cake was supposed to be the height of decadence... The single malt just topped it off, and I find a good single malt tends to have a much fruitier and rich flavour when compared to cheaper blends. (It's like the flavour differences when you use good wine to cook with instead of cheap wine)

    I'll never return to hospitality as a permanent career, as much and all as I enjoy it, it's just not what I see myself doing forever.

    And nothing will change my plans to move to Melbourne...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and having just re-read what I wrote, I'd like to give my sincere apologies to anyone who reads this... I got a bit over excited there and temporarily turned into a pretentious foodie wanker. God, I was one step away from describing velvety mouth feels and the need for palate cleansers between each course...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an eventful and lovely first day back. I was gripped by your excitement and the pain of the burny blister eiiks.

    Don't - please - become that food wankery know it all gob snob. xx

    ReplyDelete