This is gonna be short and sweet, but most interesting to see how people react.
I have but one question...
How do you know when to stop making excuses for someone and just accept the fact that what you're doing is merely an exercise in futility?
Discuss.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

How do you know, well, I think you just know, you feel it in your head and in your heart. You ask yourself the question and you then ask it of other people - like putting it on a blog!
ReplyDeleteI think if you've come this far, to open up to what other people suggest, you've already established it is time to accept the fact.
Hugs.
Jason
Making excuses to yourself or to other people?
ReplyDeleteDoes it matter?
I think you excuse the behavior for yourself longer than you make excuses to other people, because you are entitled to put up with bad behavior more than you are entitled to ask other people to put up with it. So even while you are personally excusing what someone is doing, the time may have come to say, "Well, I'm afraid that's how he is, and you shouldn't have to put up with it," to other people.
For yourself, it's probably a question of whether there is any reasonable hope of improvement, or whether you can tolerate the bad behavior for the sake of something good that the relationship is doing for one or both of you. The concept of "tough love" comes in here. When you can see that making excuses isn't leading to any improvement, then you are probably enabling bad behavior by making the excuses. And it's time to say, "Sorry, you're not entitled to do that, and I'm not taking it anymore."