I feel so low and more than a little bit lost at the moment...
This week has just been a wee bit crappy and I'm just not sure what I should do.
My grandma went into hospital the other day...
Now I have to go and see her.
I'm shitting bricks, because this means swallowing my pride and burying the hatchet.
See I haven't seen or spoken to any of my Dad's side of the family (other than the occasional comment on a coupe of my cousins' facebook statuses) since my grandpa's funeral 3yrs ago -and probably saw them once or twice in the 5yrs prior to that!
The last time I spoke to grandma was the main reason for this...
We were talking with each other and after about 5mins of conversation she suddenly realises who I was (it's ok, not even my Dad recognised me to begin with).
What got to me was as soon as she did figure it out, she told me how sorry she felt for me having found out about the sad and lonely lifestyle I've chosen to lead. She also told me that I need to be careful I don't catch AIDS like my Auntie's (read wife of her golden child) brother did.
I've never been so insulted in all my life, I don't think she meant to be such a condescending bitch about it. But I saw red and pointed out that who I am isn't a choice, that not all gay guys get AIDS and that if anyone chose a sad and lonely life for themselves it was her.
Afterall, she was the one who remained married to a controlling and abusive alcoholic until the day he died.
I don't even know what her response was, I walked out of the service and drove home.
The rest of them... well they only ever really get in contact if they want something from you.
But anyways, Dad rang me the other night to tell me that Gran is now going to undergo major liver surgery. Initially, I honestly didn't care.
But I could hear the concern in my Dad's voice, he's scared he's about to loose his Mum (though he'd never actually admit to that). So I agreed to let him know if I could find time to go down and see her.
I got to thinking and realised that this isn't just about me, not to mention that I would never forgive myself if the last words I'd ever said to my grandmother were basically telling her to go fuck herself.
So I texted Dad on Tuesday and asked when he was going back down to see her (half hoping it was while I was at uni, so I had a valid reason not to go).
Having not heard back, I rang him this afternoon...
So now, tomorrow I'm going to Melbourne... with Dad... to see my Grandma... and the rest of Dad's family...
I'm still not sure if I really want to do this, but I know its the right thing to do.
I can do this, I think... It doesn't matter that I think she's a horrible person for the things she's done to Mum, me or my two siblings in the past.
It'll make Dad happy, and it may very well be that last time I get to see her alive. I want to leave on better terms than the last time we met...
Other than that, I'm still sick and can't quite seem to shake this niggling cough.
I've put on a couple of kilos (well, 1.5) which I get the feeling I'm about to loose due to stress so I've been making sure to shove as much food into my system as humanly possible!
Uni is pissing me off, or rather a particular few people in my class. WHEN WILL YOU GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD PEOPLE, SOCIAL WORK IS ALL ABOUT GREY! BLACK AND WHITE ANSWERS DO NOT EXIST! And I swear, if I have to ever do group assignments again it will be too soon! I'm so over relying on others to pull of a good mark when they either clearly don't give a fuck or are just stupid (I swear, if I don't get good enough marks to transfer heads will roll).
I really just want someone to give me a hug right now... Just to let me know that I'm doing the right thing, that things will work out in the end.
Oh and if said person could bring me some more Cold and Flu tablets, that'd be awesome :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Right now I am happy to not only give you a hug but share my ibruprofen, codeine and valium with you. There's no drama like family drama. Seeing as I'm going through my own family dramas right now, I feel like we're sitting shoulder to shoulder in the same pub.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing the right thing. If your granma passes before you have the chance to square things with her, you'd feel awful. You may feel awful when you see her anyway, but you are doing the right thing.
Things may work out in the end. But if they don't, you'll have done the right thing anyway. And that's all you can ask of yourself.
I've got all the cold and flu tablets and remedies you could possibly want, only one problem, they are here and not there!
ReplyDeleteSorry ya feeling rough, and things are a little poopy for you.
I know it's not really what you want to do, seeing grandma and that side of the family - but as you rightly say, it's the right thing to do! You may never get to make your peace, sort out things or even have a dignified parting, which if you don;t go now, will haunt you in years to come. So be brave, bite the bullet, grit the teeth and get on with it.
Hugs a plenty on their way to you. xx
lol, You can keep your Codeine... It makes me see things.
ReplyDeleteI might just have to take you up on that drink at the pub though. God only knows I'm gonna need a drink or 5 after all this!
And yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts exactly Jay, I'd much rather deal with being uncomfortable for an afternoon than a lifetime of guilt...
I think you did a good job sorting out your feelings about your grandma and what you will want to have done.
ReplyDeleteTake care of yourself and get well soon — now, if possible.