So I survived the dreaded trip to Melbourne...
3hrs of almost complete silence (except for the radio) on the way to Melbourne was... interesting.
I really had no idea what to talk to Dad about and apparently he was in the same situation.
It took us about 10mins to get through the meaningless small talk of how I was going at uni etc., then... nothing. Except for a few random snippets of conversation to do with what they were talking about on the radio at the time. Gave me far too much time to think, I really wish I didn't do that sometimes...
When we finally made it to the Austin Hospital, I was shitting bricks to say the least. But managed to put on my usual cool and calm mask to avoid drawing any attention to myself.
Got to the ward and they had a 'No visitors sign' up. Dad went to turn around and leave, I laughed and told him to 'watch this'. Marched up to the registrars desk and proceeded to ask what room Grandma was in, when she started to protest I calmly explained that I had just driven 3hrs to get here and used a bit of my knowledge of how hospitals work to get my way.
Then, off we went to Room 14. I let Dad lead the way, cause I really wasn't too sure what to expect. I crossed my fingers and hoped that my uncle, auntie and cousins weren't there took a deep breath and stepped across the threshold into her room.
I said hello, gave her a kiss and listened to her tell me how its been such a long time since she last saw me and how I'm forever in her thoughts. (At this point, even my heart melted a little bit)
I took a seat and began to explain what I'd been doing for the last couple of years...
Sadly, I didn't get too far before she interrupted telling me all about my two cousins and my 'poor' Uncle Robert.
*Begin Rant* FOR FUCKS SAKE GRANDMA, YOU ASKED WHAT I WAS DOING... AT LEAST GIVE ME THE CHANCE TO EXPLAIN! I don't care what my cousins are doing, they're scum anyways! Bet you don't know one of them sells Pills and the other is just a manipulative little bitch. As for Robert, he's a prick anyway. You can't use his MS as an excuse for all his abhorrent behaviour! *End Rant*
All I wanted to tell you was that I'd finally found a career that would make me happy, to tell you of my grand plans for the next few years... But no, you thought it was more important to cut me off and tell me how dreadful my hair looks when it's not curly and how perfect life is for everyone else.
That said, it was rather touching to hear her telling me about when I was but a wee little baby and how she used to hold me in her arms and sing (Cue badly sung old school nursery rhyme, which I've never heard in my life but could remember every word and the innocent smile which appeared on my face).
I really don't know what to make of her, part of me hates her because of the things she's done to me over her life. The other part remembers all the nice 'grandma' moments though.
It's so bloody confusing...
Anyways, she goes in for surgery today. She has some kind of blockage at the beginning of her colon. Really didn't need to know the details she told me of how they found that one out... Apparently she'd been taken to hospital because she was throwing up (That bit I can deal with) then she told me what she was throwing up... her own faeces! (sorry, but if I have to know that so should you). -I kinda wanted to make a crack about her dribbling shit at this point, but thought it may have been slightly inappropriate.
I hope she makes it, but for somewhat selfish reasons... I want her to be at my uni graduation... I want her to be proud that one of her grandchildren has finally earned a degree in something. That its me standing up stage receiving my Masters degree!
And I feel terrible for saying that, but there is little else she has to be proud of me for apparently.
Dad and I stopped in at Maccas on the way home, and when I looked at the person serving behind the counter I couldn't help but laugh to myself. Standing there was one of the guys I'd done the practical component of my VET Hospitality course at the William Angliss Institue with in 2001.
I found it rather amusing to see that an uppity private school educated guy (who had turned his nose up at me because I was from a country public school) has ended up working in MacDonalds (at Rockbank). Yup... all those $$ Mummy and Daddy pumped into his education clearly paid off for him.
Finally made it back home just before 11pm, then drove to Bendigo because one of my mates invited me out for drinks... He was so trashed when I got there that I had one drink before deciding it was time for us to leave (He was trying to organise a 3some and taking any opportunity to grope me).
That made for a fun evening... Especially seeing as he has a boyfriend...
I spent the rest of the night fending him off before he eventually passed out (I was tempted to drive home again, but after nearly 8hrs of driving already that day, I was fucked!)
But it wasn't all bad, got a random message from one of the girls from work asking if I was in town and wanted to go to lunch with her... If you're ever in Bendigo, go to the Match on Bull St. Their Gnocchi is fucking ace!
And that's about it for the last couple of days... now to ready myself for another crazy day in the kitchens tomorrow and finding some time to do some study :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Well, at least she didn't go into a tirade about the last time you and she spoke.
ReplyDeleteIt's probably good for us all to be reminded that we should promptly seek medical attention every time we vomit fæces, however small the amount, as it could be a symptom of something serious.
Wow, what an amazing visit and day. I am so pleased that you got in there and saw her and all that. Ok, so it could have been better and shoe could have listened to you, but hey, she knew you'd made the effort and was there.
ReplyDeleteI find this hard to say without sounds a) really really old. b) condescending. c) a silly old fart - knowing we've never met of anything, but I'm gonna say it away. I'm proud of you.
Proud of the way you've delt with all the shit in life and are getting on with things, making your own way and your own luck.
There said it. Phew.
I hope she makes it though the op, just so she can see you getting ya masters.
Love and hugs. x