Mum came home from work today and told me that one of the ladies at the Hospital was asking after me today, wanting to know how I was going etc and said to pass on the message that I was sorely missed around the place.
It's funny, because I barely even know her other than from the brief moments of passing her in the hallways of the hospital and saying Hi.
It struck me though, because she's the third person in 2 weeks from there that have said basically the same thing... That I was a breath of fresh air in the place, that I made work fun and that my smile brightened their day up just a little bit.
Kind of keeps with my focus on the simple things this week...
Who could have guessed that my smile or me saying Hi as I walked past could have such a profound effect on people.
It saddens me a little though that in the 2 years I worked there for, nobody ever told me that. Perhaps that's because you don't really know what you have until it's gone?
While I was there, all I ever got was 'pull your socks up, your work is slipping' but nobody ever took the time to ask why until the day I handed my resignation to my manager. Then it was all about how they could get me to stay... but still not wanting to fix the under lying problems.
I guess its just human nature to fixate on the negative aspects of one's life. We're all constantly trying to make ourselves better people, more often than not for all the wrong reasons.
Perhaps it's about time we stopped that and instead focus on the good things.
So here's my personal challenge, rather than thinking about how shit my day has been I'm going to look for the positives instead.
Wednesdays for example, 2 long and boring classes in a drab and prison like room.
But, Carya (not her real name, but a derivative of Pecan's botanical name) and I get to hang out and have Pecan Pie in the afternoons now.
So my dear readers, I lay down the gauntlet for you guys too... Take some time out this week to appreciate the good things in life.
Smile at a stranger, compliment your friends, text/call someone just to say Hi for no other reason than because you were thinking of them.
Oh and before I forget again, Welcome to the Blog Jason :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment