Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Lessons I've Learned

Today's been rather interesting and full of little lessons...

I learned my sense of humour isn't always appreciated.
- During my final lecture this afternoon, the tutor asked us to come up with a single cause of depression and to share it with the class (The purpose of the exercise being that there was no single cause apparently).
After hearing some of the other student's responses I gave my answer 'Life'.
The tutor asked why and without thinking I gave the response of 'Have you ever seen a dead person who's depressed?'
Needless to say, I got shut down pretty quickly and she shot me a death glare just to make sure I knew how unimpressed she was with my efforts.
But seriously... I was right, the only single cause of depression that makes any sense is life itself.

I also learned that taking a class on Mental Health issues will result in multiple cases of self diagnosis.
- So far I think I've come up with about 5 or 6 possible mental health disorders I may be suffering from based purely upon the brief description our tutor gave of each.
Our break turned out to be most amusing though, we all just sat and compared what we thought we had wrong with us based on the symptoms described (It's gonna be like Pokemon all over again! Gotta Catch 'Em All!)

I learned that not all Centrelink workers are incompetent pieces of shit (my most surprising lesson of the day)

And that I can justify spending money I shouldn't be spending on expensive aftershave purely because it's my favourite and I haven't seen it on the shelf in years (and it was the last one in stock).

I've learned that one of the chicks in my class is a rude bitch, she was more than willing to be my best friend last year... Said hello to her today and she grunted at me and kept walking. Meh... last time I help you!

Other than that, I got my car back today! WOOO FUCKING HOOO! Hello Independence :)
Finally, I have a new Wednesday afternoon ritual... Pecan Pie and a Latte with one of the girls from class. My god those things are good!

2 comments:

  1. LOL. I withdrew from a mental health class years ago because of the same thing - I diagnosed myself as depression, bi-polar, aspergers and that was in the first lecture!

    Of course, the irony is that that professionals today would probably diagnose two out of those three. Shucks!

    Congrats on the car returning to you! May your new mobility bring you lots of Pecan pie (yummers.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for eating the pecan pie so I won't be asked to. LOL

    Definitely one should buy the last available bottle of the rarely available favo(u)rite aftershave. If one hasn't the cash, one should put it on a credit card.

    ReplyDelete