Anyways, I'm a little nervous cause Case has asked me to read a poem out for it.
To begin with I gladly volunteered for the honour and Casey said she'd organise something for me to read.
This appealed to the lazy side of me, but when I got home I thought to myself if I'm going to read something I want it to have some kind of meaning to me.
So I did what I do best and asked Google (As poetic as I can be, I didn't feel the need to bare my soul that much to everyone attending!)
To begin with I came across the usual stuff, over the top poems describing how perfect a child she is and the great expectations that people have for her, the ones thanking God for His hand in her creation blah blah blah.
None of these fitted what I wanted, they weren't me and certainly wasn't what I wanted to be reading out to Bubba.
But then I came across something somewhat unique, with great meaning but very me (ie. a little twisted but managing to make a serious situation somewhat fun).
A Dr Seuss book entitled 'Oh the places you'll go!'.
The book itself is fantastic, I fell in love with it at once. It portrays the highs and lows of life as only Seuss can.
So I exercised my editing skills and smooshed (hugely technical term hey?) a couple of the happier verses together to come up with my reading...
And when things start to happen, don’t worry.
Don’t stew. Just go right along. You’ll start happening too.
Oh! The Places You’ll Go!
You’ll be on your way up!
You’ll be seeing great sights!
You’ll join the high fliers who soar to high heights.
You won’t lag behind, because you’ll have the speed.
You’ll pass the whole gang and you’ll soon take the lead.
Wherever you fly, you’ll be best of the best.
Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.
You’ll get mixed up, of course, as you already know.
You’ll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go.
So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life’s a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft.
And never mix up your right foot with your left.
And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed.)
Kid, you’ll move mountains!
So…be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray.
Or Mordecai Ale Van Allen O’Shea, you’re off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So… Get on your way!
Everyone who's seen it loves it to bits, but now I've just gotta figure out how to pull off reading Seuss without it turning into a monotonous mess (someone recommended that I be stoned).
I think I can do it, in fact I know I can...
Now to get memorising and live up to my plan!
And this isn't good, I'm rhyming like Seuss now... Time for some green eggs and ham?

Although I was told not to buy presents (apparently I've spent far too much on her already... geez, it's not my fault Calvin Klein make baby clothes!) but I broke that rule by importing a copy of the Seuss book for her (It's a special edition version that's all bound in old school cloth with pretty gold embossing on the cover and the box it comes in) -Well worth it I think, and considering the meaning behind it I think I'll be forgiven!
I'm just glad I got out of having to cater for the event... I over catered for Casey's 21st and got a wee bit stressed at the idea of cooking and doing a speech for her. So she's let me off this time (much to the disappointment of her family and friends).
So here's to Bubba, the most precious soul I've met!
Welcome to the world Munchkin :)
Oh and if anyone has any tips for pulling off this reading... let me know!
Nelo

Some people say poetry should be recited as much like normal prose as possible, stopping and pausing where one would if it were everyday speech, and ignoring rhyme and meter as much as possible. The listeners should be only barely conscious of those things.
ReplyDeleteBut that's not the way to do this one. Seuss delights in all those things and for the most part puts the natural pauses and stops at the ends of the lines.
So deliver it as:
duh Da duh duh Da, duh duh Da duh duh DA!
duh Da duh duh Da, duh duh Da duh duh DA!
duh Da duh duh Da, duh duh Da duh duh DA!
duh Da duh duh Da, duh duh Da duh duh DA!
and so on.
Don't fight it, go with it.
And btw, when you do that, you'll notice that you've got a couple of the line breaks wrong.
Enjoy!
lol, yeah I already knew some of the line breaks were in the wrong spot... Part of that is from the smooshing, part of it from the cut and paste job I did, but mostly cause I CBF editing it again.
ReplyDeleteThe more I read it, the more fun it becomes...
Plus it helped to hear John Lithgow reading it on YouTube :)