Monday, March 1, 2010

The beginning of the end.

So as promised, here goes...
My first day of my last semester of uni in the country!
For starters, it's quite obvious that in the short time since writing my last post I have made the decision to move to Melbourne mid-year. And have the most awesome email from Casey saying its OK by her.

But anyways, today was a bit full on.
I didn't have class till 1pm but I set my alarm for 8am knowing that I had a few last minute things I needed to organise.
After replying to the plethora of texts that I got this morning (what on earth posses people to send texts at that ungodly hour?) I finally managed to stop hitting Snooze and drag my sorry arse out of bed around 9am.
The rest of the morning is pretty boring... I got myself ready and walked off to Mum's work so I could pick up her car.
I'd allowed myself a fair bit of extra time as I knew I'd end up talking to everyone there (took me an hour to pick up Mum's keys!)
-Oh I had to take Mum's car cause mine is STILL in pieces on the garage floor (Reason number 302 why you shouldn't rely on family to fix you car -Younger bro is a mechanic and has been 'fixing' it now for about 3 months!)
So I finally got the keys and was off on my way. After a quick stop off at the florist to organise some lillies to be delivered to Mum and a stop at Casey's to get a bike pump I loaned her the week before.
So yeah, off I went to uni. Gotta say I was feeling pretty excited... I felt invincible!
Got there and made the hike up the hill to where my class was and then my heart sunk.
I was right on time and yet the only person there was the lecturer.
So in I walked and asked the obvious question... 'Where is everyone?'
She looked just as surprised to see me there and asked why wasn't I in the another class that had been running that morning. It was right about now I'd realised that I'd screwed up my enrolment.
Frustrating much!? But she took it pretty well, I explained my side and she could tell that I was genuinely upset by the news. I screwed up last year so I wanted this year to be perfect... Not the best start to that idea!

But anyway, I left her trying to find her class (Due to last minute timetable changes, they were in a totally different building and sitting there wondering why the lecturer hadn't turned up) - Gotta love that.
So I trudged off to my coordinator's office with my tail between my legs readying myself for the news that I would have to sit out first semester.
The coordinator of my course is awesome, he manages to put you at ease in a moment. Plus, he's gay... so I think he has a soft spot for me :) WOO! My sexuality finally comes in handy for something!
Anyways, turns out I had nothing to worry about. Yes, I'd stuffed up my enrollment but because I'd failed subjects last year I had to repeat them before I could go onto completing the next lot of classes.
So we got that sorted and then I dropped the question of 'How do I go about transferring to Melbourne?'
Initially, he said it was a nightmare to do mid-year and that they rarely do it.
But then he pointed out that the campus I wanted to transfer to was desperate to get their class sizes up so it probably wouldn't pose an issue for me at all.
He handed me the form with a warning that I wouldn't be able to if I didn't pass this semester (like I intend to fail! I've made so many changes in my life so I can focus on my studies I don't intend to screw this up now.)

Oh and best of all, I've gone from studying 3 days a week to 2. So I now get a 5 day weekend and don't have to come in on a Monday! (Best bit of all!)
Oh and 2 of my classes don't start for another 2 weeks, so for the moment I'm only attending uni on Tuesday. Can life get any better?

So what had the potential to be a nightmare, couldn't have turned out better. Well unless they handed me my degree then and there (but lets not push it too much hey!)

2 comments:

  1. A fiasco is always the best way to start a semester, Everything gets better from here on... even on the first day, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is so much better when people want to help, rather than make things difficult.

    When I worked for the IRS, I decided that there were two types of employees there: the public servants, and the bureaucrats. The former cared about the people they dealt with. The latter just wanted to go "by the book" regardless of the real life consequences.

    ReplyDelete