What a day...
Had my first assignment for the semester due today, a group presentation on Adoption in Australia.
What have I learned from this? That I never want to hear about it again...
Unfortunately, they made all of our groups present on the same topic. Hearing virtually the same talk 5 times in a row is tedious to say the least.
Strangely, I seemed to be the best speaker in the entire class. I find this amusing because I researched and wrote my entire part of the presentation in about 30mins while I was watching TV last night.
My years in the hospitality industry have given me a fantastic ability to spin shit, to take the smallest piece of information and make it sound like the most amazing thing ever.
Anyway, I had maybe half a page of typed text to read from and a single PowerPoint slide comprising of a heading and 3 dot points (maybe 10 words total).
Yet I managed to prattle on for about 5 minutes about the role of a Social Worker in modern day adoption practices, didn't even use my notes.
I'm hoping I managed to pull it off, it sure sounded like I knew what I was going on about and unlike everyone else in the class I didn't just read mass ammounts of text from the slides in front of me -One of my pet hates in lectures is people who just read straight from a PowerPoint presentation (I can do that in my own time!).
Other than that, not a hell of a lot has happened really.
I pissed my little brother off in a big way last night, he got home while I was still working on my presentation and demanded that I give him the lap top so he could go surf the net from the comfort of his bedroom.
Apparently Facebook is more important than me passing at Uni. But for once, I stood my ground. I no longer need to be nice to him, he's not holding the fact that he's fixing my car over my head anymore! Time for a much needed wake up call to the little turd.
He's pissed me off so much of late, he's been fixing my car since just after Christmas last year (I cracked the head in my engine so it was gonna cost me a small fortune to replace) and almost every day he's managed to get away with treating me like shit purely because he knew I needed him.
Fuck, I even loaned him money to pay for his Trade School (His definition of loan is gave btw). But no, that doesn't register on his radar. Grateful? Not fucking likely... It's just one of many things that is his right to take.
Seriously, if that boy expects me to do anything for him he's got another thing coming.
I'm actually glad that he's gotten a job in Melbourne and will be moving out sometime this week. Cause honestly, I don't really care if I ever speak to him again.
There's only so many times one can take being called a dirty fagot and just let it slide.
That said, I am a little worried about just how much he's gonna fuck himself over when he gets to the big city. For starters... he doesn't believe in condoms or STDs (His rationale is if you don't believe, you can't catch them) and he's also discovered the wonderful world of drugs in the last few months. -Still waiting for that 4am phone call to say he's been locked up or found half dead in a gutter.
I've tried to talk to him about it, but no use... He doesn't have a problem.
Pfft, neither does Keith Richards... I suppose all I can do is hope he wakes up to himself before its too late. I've done what I can for him, I've given him the tools and the knowledge. Not my fault if he's not smart enough to use them!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Good that you stood up to your brother.
ReplyDeleteWe can only hope that being on his own, without you to sponge off, will be the wake up call he needs.
And congrats on the presentation.
I think when people use power point, what they put up should be just an outline. They should explain what they have on the screen and go into depth on the items. That makes it possible for the audience to take notes — maybe write the outline from the pp — and have it mean something because of the oral explanation. If every word the person says is on the screen, there is no time for a person to get it down in notes. The only thing is to give everybody a printout.