I'm a wee bit over researching current Social Work practices and policy pertaining to adoption in Australia at the moment. No idea why that would be... it's such a fascinating topic (NOT).
I've just finished sending an email to one of my lecturer's explaining why I wasn't in class last Tuesday and why I won't be there for the first half of class this Tuesday coming (hope she doesn't mind!).
We had our first of about half a dozen preparation seminars for when we go on Work Placement next semester.
My first of 2x14 week placements where I FINALLY get to put some of the things I've learned into practice. Gotta say, its making me just a touch nervous.
Up until now its all been journal articles, essays and case studies. But now they're setting us loose on the real world! It's gonna be freaking awesome!
So anyways, the seminar on Friday finished up with an expo where a few of the local service providers came to talk to us in the hopes of getting us to go work for them while we're doing our placements.
I was a bit thrown when I saw the ADF (Australian Defence Force) had a stall there, more so that I actually found it quite interesting. In my experience, those that end up in the armed forces turn out to be a group of brainwashed meat-heads. Who can talk of nothing else except for the size of their guns (bit like gay boys really).
But this guy presented a much more interesting case, we'd be working with the soldiers and their families in various capacities as counsellors and what not. But we'd be employed as civilians ie. no fancy titles, which works just fine for me! -Also means if I did go there I wouldn't ever have to pick up a gun plus I'd be surrounded by buff eye candy!
The other stall I found amusing was the YSAS (Youth Substance Abuse Services) one. Mainly because of the Amphetamines (read Speed, Ice, Ecstasy) pack they had there.
Was pretty simple, an information brochure, a condom (and instructions) and a chupa chup lollipop.
I found this interesting due to the reactions of various people within our group.
Obviously it was there as a harm minimisation strategy (works on the theory that they're gonna do it regardless, lets show them how to do it safely). But some people just couldn't get their heads around it and were quite disgusted at the efforts to further encourage drug use among our youth.
Personally, I just liked the fact that I scored a free lollipop!
So now I have lots more to think about in the coming months, I'm even considering working at Centrelink (the Macdonalds of Social Work) after I finish my degree, just to cement my practices while earning a decent wage at the same time. After all, if my dream of going to England is going to come about I need to think about how I'm going to earn enough money to get there while making my resume look impressive at the same time!
For the moment though, I'm working on surviving the next few months here.
I've taken the first step and asked one of my close friends at uni to hold my hand while I go make an appointment to see the counsellor. Not really something I want to do, but I think it will be interesting to hear what coping strategies they can come up with to help me deal with living back at home and the stresses I face there.
I'm actually considering giving my sister a call and asking if I can spend the weekend at her place again. If only so I can get out of this shit hole for a few days :)
Right now though, mother dear is nagging me to dye her hair... *groan* here's hoping I get high from the fumes, at least that'll make this whole experience less traumatic for me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Can you get her to agree that if you dye her hair she won't lock you out of the house? ;)
ReplyDeletepfft, I wish... It's all part of her privacy policy. ie. I get none, and she gets it whenever she wants.
ReplyDelete