Monday, June 7, 2010

Admin 1 Nelo 0

Damn student admin... Just got an email from my coordinator to say they didn't want to play :( -In English, they're refusing to hit a button to say 'Yes, I can enrol in these subjects'
Looks like I miss out on my placement and doing 3rd year research next semester...
In other words, back to finishing my degree at the end of 2012.
Ah well, at least he tried...

Still, things are looking up. I got an email from some more potential housemates (actually I've had about 10 so far). And this place sounds perfect!
Sharing with a guy and a girl... and my room has an ensuite :)
It's also in a nice and newly renovated townhouse!

So I'm going down to check it out on Thursday... Fingers crossed this one works in my favour!

Still plugging away at these essays, I'm gonna be an essay writing machine by the time they're done.

Right now, I'm enjoying my day at home by myself though.
I've been up since about 7am (Not by choice), and after standing under the shower till the hot water ran out, I decided I would just get back into my nice warm PJs and kick back with some journal articles a cup of tea and a box of Oreos.
hehehe, gotta love 'study' days.

Addition:
Ok, so the more I think about this the more bitterly disappointed I am...
I know I probably don't deserve to skip ahead of the bureaucracy and red tape of university....
Still, I was so looking forward to the fact that I would be finishing my degrees at the end of next year, instead of the year after.
It's like they shortened the length of the stick they've been dangling the carrot on then decided to go back to the longer one.

Still every cloud has a silver lining. The main thing is that I'll still be getting my degree, it'll just take a little longer now.
And in all honesty, this is probably the best thing. Doing 2nd and 3rd year research at the same time as a 14 week full time placement is probably a bit much to ask... even of me!
So perhaps this is really just a blessing in disguise.
Still I'm not defeated yet, I'm going to see Rob tomorrow to see what other classes I can enroll in. Maybe I'll be able to make a start on my 4th year classes...
Now that's gonna be confusing for anyone asking what year I'm completing of my degree!
I doubt there are many people who can honestly say they are studying their 2nd, 3rd and 4th years of a degree.

And now that I've got that out, I feel much better :)
Sure, I'm disappointed now... but that will pass soon enough.
And besides, life is all about how we react to the little set backs it presents us.
Considering the things I've faced in the past, this is little more than a ripple on the ocean's surface.

I don't care how long it takes me to be able to stand up on that stage in my robes and funky hat. I WILL BE THERE!
May the Gods of Academia shine upon me, cause I'm gonna do this with or without their help.

2 comments:

  1. This is certainly a disappointment. But if nothing worse happens in the rest of your life, you will be fortunate indeed. I don't blame you for being upset, and I think you're doing wee at handling it.

    Good luck on the housing. I hope the house and housemates are better than acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a long time left, the rest of your life I mean, so don't fret the small stuff over this too much. It would have been a real heavy workload had you been allowed to do it.

    It may not seem it at the moment, but am sure it;s for the best.

    Good luck with the trip down to that house, sounds good. xx

    ReplyDelete