Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Does No really mean Yes?

Today has had me in two minds, for the most part it's been awesome.
My first class finished 2hrs early but left me feeling as though I'd wrapped up the subject nicely.
One of the girls broke down into tears while we were talking about the final essay we have due for the class next week, all because she was scared of failing.
She'd heard from one of the 4th years that there is a 60% fail rate for our year (gotta love a good rumour like that to put one's mind at ease!)
Anyways, Fiona was struggling to convince her that none of her lecturer's wanted to see this girl fail. That all you have to do is talk to them and they'll go out of their way to help out.
I could see that the girl thought this was just lip service, so I took a deep breath and piped up about what is usually a point of utter contention for me... my failure of the class last year.
I stood up in front of the entire class and admitted not only that I had failed, but the extraordinary lengths Fiona had gone to to try and help -phonecalls, emails, talks after class.
I explained that I actually had to work harder at failing than I would have to pass.
And you know what, I turned round to see people smiling and laughing... not at me though, I'd apparently managed to put their minds at rest for a while.
So it would seem that I've put that little demon to sleep, failure is nothing to be ashamed of.
We all do it and all have our reasons for it... As long as we learn something from it though, it's really not that bad.

So that was that... because it was our last class of that subject for the semester, we had to fill out a survey about our opinions of the subject. Apparently uni takes it quite seriously and so Fiona left the room and asked for a volunteer to seal them all in an envelope and deliver it to the faculty office. Course I stuck my hand up...
The Christian Chick made a crack about this to the entire class pointing out that I was just trying to suck up.
So I put her straight back in her place and announced 'Why would I need to do that? a) I get high enough marks as it is and b) I'm not even going to be at Bendigo next semester'.
This sent the class into a bit of a frenzy... so I explained that I was transferring my degree to Bundoora. What surprised me was the ammount of people who made the effort to come up and say goodbye and tell me quite genuinely that I will be missed.
Even my lecturer said the same thing after I thanked her for all her help this semester.

One last thing about that class before I go onto the less happy part of this entry...
Ironically, it was the first thing that happened when I walked into class this morning.
I was 10mins late to class... no biggie (really).
So when I walked in, I decided to be a little dramatic and had my hood pulled right down over my face (I was wearing my black woolen jacket and when I put the hood on it drapes down and covers half my face).
Anyways, when I walked in Christian Chick made it quite obvious that she wanted me to sit next to her. As soon as she saw me she moved her bags and even pulled out a seat for me to sit in.
What did I do? walked to the empty row of seats behind her, tossed my bag down and took a seat. -I didn't do it to be cruel, I just didn't feel like having to talk to her this morning.
Same deal in class this afternoon, I let her walk into class ahead of me and deliberately sat away from her. This time she asked 'Don't you want to sit with me this afternoon?' -Now I'd just been stuck listening to her drone on about how she wants to dye her hair with bright pink streaks and how she wants to grow it long (I've heard this same conversation pretty much every week for the last 10 weeks), so anyways I'd had enough of her for one day. So I replied honestly and directly... 'No'
She moved to sit beside me regardless :(
FUCK! Some people just don't get it sometimes! -Yup, she's gonna make a great social worker. She can't even read the most obvious cues that scream back the hell off and give me some space!

However, she is no longer my problem... WOO!

Now this brings me to the more serious side of my post. I'll try and avoid delving into the psychology of the situation and let you draw your own conclusions...

I dropped in on my old housemate (he still owes me money from when I was living there last year, and he had a bit more of it to give me today so I went round on my way home after class).
Thats not the bad bit though...
When I got there Cale's new housemate Kym was sitting renaming all the video files he has on his computer (he's one of those anal people who has to have EVERY episode of a series named in chronological order). Still not a major issue except that his computer screen is the TV in the loungeroom... So Kym cracked the shits big time when Cale asked him why he was bothering and then stormed off to his room to play drums.

Still no biggie... (A little weird maybe)

Soon after he emerged from his room to announce he was ordering a pizza for dinner.
And here's the kicker... When his girlfriend asked why...
He made quite the scene. Stating quite loudly that he wasn't able to cook because the kitchen was such a 'fucking pig sty' which soon descended into him calling her lazy among other things.
I thought the discussion ended when he went back to his room and called the pizza shop.
But no, when he came back out he started again...
This time Sarah pointed that out that he had made the rule whereby if Sarah cooked him dinner, he would do the dishes.
Seems like an airtight arguement right? Apparently not, this just seemed to piss him off more and he actually stood there and argued with her about how that wasn't what he meant and even started going around the kitchen pointing out what had been left out on the bench!
At this point, Cale piped up and pointed out that it was Kym's turn to clean anyways. Still things got worse.
I could see him getting angrier (he is one of few people that actually scares me when he gets angry) so I left.

There's a hell of a lot of history here, he's hit her (I'm talking fists) and at one point Sarah actually had a restraining order issued on him. Hell, he was stalking her when they weren't together (All of which she is aware of).

So where do we draw the line? When is it OK to intervene and stop someone from making a stupid and ultimately dangerous decision about their lives?

I've tried in the past to stop Sarah from seeing him, the last time I saw him psych out he kicked her out of the house while I was there and so I offered to take her home with me and her sister (we were at Kym's housewarming party and I was dropping her sister back home when I left).
But no... she wanted to stay and talk it out with him (despite the fact that he'd just told her if she didn't back off she would cop a fist).

Still it leaves me wondering one little thing... Why?
Why would you stay or even worse... go back to him?

And to finish... a random hot pic :)

4 comments:

  1. People imagine that the abuser loves them and that they can "help" him and that everything will be fine once they have done so. Indeed, they often think, it is their duty to help him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know how domestic violence and relationships work... I just still don't understand why she would willingly put herself back in that situation over and over again.
    I know I said I would let you develop your own opinions on the matter. But he's a total arsehole! He beat the shit out of the guy she was seeing after they broke up (he was parked out the front of her house when the new bf arrived) and even kept track of who she was calling because she didn't know he had access to her online billing for her phone account.
    The police were involved, but he somehow got out of it all...
    I try and see the good in everyone, but he's just a monster IMO. And if anyone confronts him about his behaviours, he storms off or just gets angry and refuses to acknowledge anything.
    I'm gonna stop now before I really go into a rant me thinks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so infatuated that she always believes, "This time will be different. I'll prove my love, and he'll change." Of course she's wrong, and of course there is some faulty process at work in her mind. It seems that reason and experience don't overcome that process. She and other repeat victims need psychotherapy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True... She needs a good dose of CBT. He needs a good dose of lead panadol.
    One less burden on our welfare system, one less pimple on the arse of society, one less defective gene in the pool.
    Man that's harsh... but come on, we're slammed with messages our entire lives that using our fists is not the way to solve problems with one's significant other. What's even scarier is the fact that he does martial arts...
    Anyone else think someone with anger issues and the ability to use his hands/feet as deadly weapons is a bad combo?

    ReplyDelete