So it turns out the potential housemates forgot to let me in on one little detail...
The chicks kid brother had also been looking at moving into their spare room.
-You can see where this is going hey?
Checked my email yesterday to find a lovely email basically saying Thanks, but no thanks.
I'm so much better than her brother... but I guess the 'Blood is thicker than water' saying comes into play here.
It would've been nice to be told that I was competing against her brother though! If I had've known that, I probably wouldn't have bothered traveling down there in the first place!
Oh well, thankfully I still have a few more tricks up my sleeve.
One of the girls I went to high school with saw me whinging on Facebook about trying to find a house to share and as it turns out, she has such a room just near uni :)
Perhaps the system does work!
As for my assignments, well I'm still plugging away at them.
The group essay we have to write is driving me nuts. The other 3 members of the group blew out on their word count to the point where we're over without me having added my part to the assignment. And guess who gets the fun job of trying to cut it down to size? -ME :) Who else is going to? All of them are 'over it' and just CBF with the whole assignment. Thanks guys... Cause I don't have anything better to do with my time!
Anyways, just a couple more days of this and its over! Then I can really start to concentrate on moving.
I worked on Saturday, was most interesting... James (the apprentice) is still there (much to my surprise) and is still struggling with the most basic of instructions.
My favourite one so far has been when he was asked to measure out the ingredients for a tart base -Butter, Sugar, Flour. Simple enough yeah? But James had to pull me aside to ask how much cream to use as there wasn't any measurements for it.
I had to look at the recipe to figure out where he'd even managed to get cream from.
Turns out he'd read the first step of the method... Cream butter and Sugar.
I had to stop myself from laughing while I explained that Creaming meant beating the butter and sugar together until it went light and fluffy and looked like whipped cream. -He even stuffed that bit up and used rock hard butter...
He just doesn't seem to get it... For someone who wants to be a pastry chef and earn a Michelin Star, I think he may be dreaming too big.
I've also realised that having Mo (the other apprentice) and I working in the kitchen together is a recipe for trouble. The two of us had a massive water fight in the kitchen the other night with the sprayer hose, with Mo ending up slipping over twice and the other chef getting caught in the crossfire. WHOOPS!
Fuck it was fun though! Can't wait till Saturday :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

If you could afford the failing grade on the group essay, it could be fun to write your portion at the correct length and leave theirs as they are. And then when the grade comes out if anybody says anything, explain sweetly that it's too bad they brought it on themselves by refusing to edit their work to the proper length. I don't know which would be more passive aggressive: their refusal to correct their work or your refusal to do so.
ReplyDeleteIt seems you were just Plan B in case the kid brother decided not to move in. Glad you have another prospect.
The idea of a failing grade really doesn't appeal too much... I got enough of those last year!
ReplyDeleteI've fixed the assignment and it all looks perfect. The other girls in the group helped me out, so it's not all bad.
Glad you fixed the assignment so it's all sorted and proper length and all that.
ReplyDeleteWhat a right kick in the rubber parts, about the girls bro renting out the place. Bitch could have told you - still I guess it was never meant to be!
Even I knew the meaning of cream butter and sugar and I'm a hopeless mess in the kitchen, I even burn water! But we can't all be perfect, I guess, never mind, it's another week, yeppp, here we go, this roller-coaster of life just keeps on trundling along.
Hugs
x
lol, let me explain a few of his other screw ups Jason...
ReplyDeleteSaute: water in bottom of pan, onions on top...
Asian Herbs (we pick herb mixes to throw in various dishes): Einstein decides that Basil is an Asian herb... cue me spending half my time picking out basil in the middle of service.
-Oh yeah, it took him 4hrs to pick about 10 bunches of herbs. It takes anyone else maybe an hour tops.
He had to ask how to take the tops off pods of peas.
What kind of 2nd year apprentice doesn't know that? Most people would learn that in cooking classes at high school!
Maybe he's never had a cooking class.
ReplyDelete